Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Crispin Georgia

Rob and I are sitting here thinking about how it could be getting warmer sooner, and along comes Crispin's Georgia cider! GEORGIA! It has to be warmer there than it is in Wisconsin, right? HAS to be.

With the weather, coupled with myself being super sick last week, and Rob having a cold this week, we were hoping to get a pick-me-up with this Georgia cider. 6.2% alcohol by volume for this little peach. The description on the back of the bottle is long. Are you ready? Okay, here it goes:
Cider with a little devil in it, but the dog doesn't bite. The sound of the rain and the distant midnight train brings Georgia to mind. An elegant, spicy blend of Colfax Classic apple-wine superbly aged in Bourbon American whisky barrels. The final blend is finished with Georgia peach-juice, a hint of mint and a kiss of Tupelo honey aged in Bourbon barrels. Full whisky notes right up front, layered, very smooth, toasted oak tannins and vanilla. Velvety peach and a hint of mint julep. Blended straight from whisky barrels. Give a solid bottoms-up tilt and swirl to disperse sediment evenly to best enjoy whisky aromas and unique bouquet. Best enjoyed at cellar temperature, 50/55F. With or without 1 or 2 ice cubes. Age-worthy.

Poor Rob isn't feeling well this week, so we will let him go first.
Whoa. Holy Whiskey Batman! This isn't really much of a cider... The bourbon in the brew overwhelmingly masks the apple wine that is advertised on the bottle. There is a large amount of honey in it that cuts down on the power of the bourbon. Also the hint of mint seems to linger on your lips after your sip. This is a very distinct cider and we've only had one like it. But even the Woodchuck Private Barrel Select was closer to a traditional cider than this. I really feel like I am drinking a powerful whisky and coke with this one, but smoother. It was different, but not necessarily in a good way (in my opinion). 2 apples. If you like bourbon, give it a shot.


I can't think of anything witty, so I'll come out and say it - I like  don't like bourbon. I can't taste any of the Georgia peaches, and I can barely taste any of the honey. I feel like I should be taking this as a shot, not sipping it like a beer. I have taken all of three sips, and I can't take any more. Bourbon is not for this girl. I was so excited for the peach that was called out, and I am sadly not getting any. This also really doesn't taste anything like a cider. Everything we've tried thus far for Crispin has been pretty dang good. Sadly, Georgia does not follow the same path. I am giving Georgia one lonely, bruised peach - I mean, apple. 


Thanks for hangin' in there with us while I was sick. If you've got any cider suggestions, we are happy to hear (taste) them! Let us know. And as always...

Happy Tasting!
-Rob & Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment