Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Woodchuck 802

Good evening Cider lovers! Liz and Rob here for another review you've been waiting all week for. I don't know about you, but this weather is really putting me in the mood to grab a six pack of cider and relax in front of the fireplace all night. Now all I need is free time and a fireplace... Oh well, this week we are reviewing another brew from the popular brand Woodchuck; 802.

Woodchuck is brewed in Middlebury, VT and comes in at 5% alcohol by volume. Here's what Woodchuck had to say about their own brew before we get into our thoughts:
Crisp like a fresh apple and finishes clean, 802 gets its tawny brown color from the caramelized sugar added to each small batch in centuries old cider making tradition. 802 captures its name from the Vermont area code and hits the spot with a nice meal or just perfectly on its own. Independent to the core.


I know she's been dying to review this one, so Liz is up first:
I might be biased going into this one. I seriously have always enjoyed Woodchuck ciders, especially since they were such a staple on the weekends at the bars in college. 802 is probably my favorite of theirs, with Crisp being an incredibly close second. 802 is a tricky little devil because its flavor is so warm and heavy, it is more of what you would expect from a heavier type of alcohol, like a beer - not some sally light beer, either. 802 is sweet, and has a very smooth apple flavor. The heavy warm notes are very reminiscent of a piece of caramel. It makes you feel as if it's one of those hand-crafted, home made things your Grandma would serve at a family gathering. For how much I love this as a Woodchuck cider, it's still only rolling in at 3.5 apples on the grand scale.

Now it's my turn:
802 has an orange label as you can see from the picture above. However, I think this one should have had a red label, it tastes a lot like a red delicious apple with a hint of caramel. Missed opportunity, but I guess caramel is orange… Either way, 802 is not too sweet and the tartness isn't strong enough to make a funny face after you first few sips. This is another cider I could see being enjoyed over ice. The iron taste is there like it is in Woodchuck Crisp, but you don't really notice it until after you swallow so I don't think it takes away from the experience at all. So far, this is my favorite Woodchuck. Up half an apple from our previous Woodchuck, 802 is awarded three and a half apples.

For those of you who are wondering, no, we are not agreeing on purpose. It's been 7 weeks (not including the bye) that we have given the same score and it's all coincidence. We taste from the same bottle and write our reviews separately, without sharing thoughts. In fact, if I say anything during this process Liz usually yells at me... Tune in next week to see if we can make 8 in a row, or if we find a more polarizing cider.

Happy Tasting!
-Liz & Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment