Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Harpoon Cider

Good evening Cider lovers! It's Wednesday again so it's time for another cider review. Last week we posted one of the better ciders we've come across in our adventures, but this week not so much... But let's not be so negative, let's start with the essential information!

Harpoon Brewery in Boston, MA has brought us the cleverly named Harpoon Cider for this week's tasting. Harpoon Cider is like most other fish in the cider pond, wrapped in a dark brown 12 ounce bottle containing 4.8% alcohol by volume. Harpoon Brewery has this to say about Harpoon Cider:
Our cider is made from pure apple juice, freshly pressed from a blend of local apples. Enjoy!


On to the reviews! Liz is up first:
The first thing I noticed as soon as I opened the bottle before I had even put the bottle to my lips is that it smells like beer. I couldn't smell a hint of cider. I took a sip and it was a bit sweet at first and then all I could taste is iron. The iron taste went away a few seconds after I swallowed, but then my tongue just felt dry as if I'd chugged a glass of very dry red wine that I would normally use for cooking. This wasn't at all what I expected to taste from a cider.  I personally do not like anything dry, and I really can't stand that iron taste. I give Harpoon one lonely, dry apple. 

What did I think? How thoughtful, thanks for asking!
This is a very heavy cider. At first, the smell didn't even seem reminiscent of a cider, it smelled more like a PBR (completely different blog)! There is also a lot of iron to this cider. The taste reminds me of apple sauce, but that's about it. It's not very sweet and doesn't leave a great taste after you sip. Not too many good things to say about this one... Better throw this one back and let it mature.

It looks like this wasn't our greatest catch. Thank goodness there are plenty of fish in the sea - I mean, plenty of ciders in our fridge. 

Happy Tasting!
-Liz & Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment