Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Somersby Hard Apple Cider

Good evening cider lovers! Actually, I have no idea what time you'll be reading this, but as the saying goes, it's 5 o'clock somewhere! So crack open a cider and look at what new adventure we've had this past week.

Liz and I decided to take a bit of charge in our personal lives, and I bought a bike this week. Bike as in bicycle, not a motorcycle. We are hoping that before the weather gets too cold here in Wisconsin to take a bike ride and have a picnic, complete with a cider tasting. Pictures from our bicycling, picnic and cider adventure will come soon!

Back to the point. This week we decided to try a cider from Carlsberg Breweries out of Croatia! This little guy is imported by Crown Imports LLC in Chicago. The only thing the bottle has to say for itself is that it has a "Refreshingly Crisp Taste." We were so excited to try this one we forgot to take a photo until after we had demolished it.


Ladies first! Here's what Liz had to say:
Out of the gate, Somersby smells like one of those bright green caramel apple pops that are a B to eat but are super delicious. First sip is tart and sweet, and it kind of reminds me momentarily of a green jolly rancher, but it mellows out a little bit after it's left your tongue. It is pretty light and if I could call a taste "happy," that's what I would call this one.  I can honestly say I will be happy to pick this one up at the grocery store next time I need to stock the fridge. I'll give Somersby 4 tart apples!

And as for me?
This cider made me have a double take when I first took a sip. It is incredibly easy to drink! At first it is sweet and smooth like apple juice, and then it finishes fairly tart like an apple Jolly Rancher. There isn't much fizz to it so I could see how this would be easy to drink fast. I haven't had a cider like this before so being a cider lover outside of this blog, I look forward to running into this cider again someday! It gets 3.5 apples today.

If you were worried, our new-found health kick of biking will not interfere with us enjoying ciders. Everything in moderation, right? We agree. Biking can definitely be moderated. Cider is non-negotiable.

Happy Tasting!
- Rob & Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment