Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Crispin Honey Crisp Artisanal Reserve

Welcome back! It's time for another Cider Adventure. This time it's with a familiar face; our Friend Sam is going to be joining us as we taste a wildly popular brand, Crispin. As I am sure you are aware, just a few weeks ago we did a review for Crispin's Saint Artisanal Reserve, and needless to say we were blown away. Unfortunately our cider stockpile is dwindling, so looks like we are going to need to go get some more! Let's get down to business...

Crispin Honey Crisp hails from Colfax, CA and comes in at 6.5% alcohol by volume, all while being contained in a 22 ounce bottle. Before we get to our own thoughts on Honey Crisp, here is what Crispin themselves had to say about it:
Smooth Operator. Naturally fermented using a premium blend of unpasteurized fresh-pressed apple juice, not from concentrate, with no added malt, spirit or grape alcohols. Experience an earthy, fruity bouquet with an authentic cidery aroma and hints of honey. A yeasty, full-bodied flavor, creamy mouth-feel with a crisp finish and unusual complexity. Honey Crisp Artisanal Reserve, Unflitered Cloudy Hard Cider, uses racked apple-wine smoothed with pure organic honey, with no added sugar, colorants, sorbate or benzoate preservatives. Best served cold for smooth, delicious refreshment.


So I guess I should be polite and let our guest go first. Sam, what did you think? 
I've never been much of a cider person, but it seems like Crispin might have given me a little change of heart. Most ciders that I've tried in the past have been way too sweet and I've never been able to drink more than one of them without getting gut rot. This one though, didn't overdo it and kept me wanting more. The cider flavor was refreshing, but I think my favorite part was the subtle honey aftertaste. I'm a sucker for honey, so this got me pretty easily. All in all, if I were to stumble upon this cider at a bar or in the store, I would buy it for sure. It's definitely worth the try if you haven't had it before. Enjoy!
With that glowing review, Sam gave Crispin Honey Crisp 4.5 apples. 

Looks like Sam is pretty good at this review thing, or he's trying to make us look bad. Liz, it's up to you to let them know we've still got it!
I know we said it's a one-and-done thing, but I've started to take a sniff of my ciders before drinking. The smell of this cider got me so excited. This one is true to their two word opener for the explanation: Smooth Operator. It goes down so smooth and ends with that sweet honey-flavor. Quite a bit of sediment will hit you towards the end of the bottle if you don't give a quick tip upside down before opening it. No, don't shake the cider! Just gently tip it over. If I were Winnie the Pooh, I would have just found my favorite honey pot. 
Liz comes in giving this her highest ever score of 4.5 apples. 

Well now, looks like those two agree on Honey Crisp, can I make it three of a kind?
Our first encounter with Crispin was one to remember. Turns out, they might know what they are doing! As the name implies, Honey Crisp contains honey, but by no means is it the first thing you taste. In fact, you can smell the honey more than you can taste it. Honey fans, fear not, the honey is there, it compliments the cider perfectly in my opinion. It seems to tame the tartness of it and leaves a nice taste in your mouth after you swallow. This cider isn't to sweet which makes it easier to drink and like the Saint, the higher alcohol percentage and larger bottle make this cider extra special.
The highest score I have given out to date went to Honey Crisp's brother, the Saint. And it looks like it is going to stay that way... It comes close, but it's just not as good to me. Honey Crisp gets a respectable 4 out of 5 apples.

So close! All things considered, that's three great scores! Needless to say, if you're out and about and you're craving a cider, look for a Crispin. I know there are more varieties of Crispin out there for us to review, but if you come across one first, let us know what you think of it! Comment below or send us an email at decidersblog@gmail.com

Thanks for joining us Sam, and Happy Tasting!
-Liz & Rob


No comments:

Post a Comment