Wednesday, October 23, 2013

H.P. Bulmer's Strongbow

OMG!!! Hashtag Excited! Wait, that's how you do that, right? Whatever, it's time for another cider adventure. This one in particular has been years in the making. Tonight Liz and I will be reviewing our first cider; Strongbow. If you're a cider fan, you've probably had this one, or at least seen it offered where ever you choose to unwind.  

A few years ago a friend and I were discussing great tasting beers, turns out that is a pretty short list. Beer to me has always been an acquired taste. When I turned 21, because I never touched a drop of alcohol before that, beer was an awful experience. Then you experiment with what kind of drinks there are out there, and you watch your drinking budget dwindle. Turns out beer may not taste great, but it's the cheapest way to enjoy yourself when you're out with friends. I am not saying everybody didn't like their first taste of beer, but I believe there are others like me out there. Back to my story about my friend and I: eventually, someone with us mentioned what hard ciders were like. Needless to say, I was intrigued, so I called over the bartender and asked what kind of ciders they had. What he returned with changed my perception of adult beverages.

Last year Liz and had a vacation across the pond in England and had a chance to have Strongbow from its native land. We were both excited to have a taste of it from where they brew it. What we have to say below is being based off of the Strongbow we are drinking here in the States. Believe it or not, it really does taste different over in England. Different as in better. 

As I mentioned, Strongbow comes to us from across the Atlantic. Brewed in Hereford, UK by H.P. Bulmer Ltd., Strongbow comes in at 5% alcohol by volume. It's England's number one selling cider, and there's probably a reason why! (See the comment above about it being better over the pond.) Srongbow keeps the description simple: "Crisp, refreshing taste."

Since I feel like being nice, for once, Liz can go first. Liz says:
I'm going to try to be objective about this. I have always loved Strongbow. It isn't my number one favorite cider if you factor in the hard-to-find stuff, but if I'm out and about, it's  my go-to cider. Strongbow is the right amount of sweet, tart, warm, and dry. It gives you a slight bite at the back of your jaw when you first swallow, but it warms up a bit and is slightly dry, but only for a moment. It makes you want to keep drinking. I could definitely drink more than a couple in a night. Okay, who am I kidding, I definitely have had more than a couple in one night. Strongbow that we can get here in the US gets 4 apples. If you care to know, UK Strongbow would get at least a 4.5.


Now on to my own thoughts. I really hope the Packers can keep their lead in the division with all of their injuries. Oops, wrong thoughts...
As it says on the bottle, Strongbow is crisp and refreshing. I actually find myself wanting to let out a commercial-like "Ahh…" after each sip. This cider is rich in taste but remains light as the sweetness tickles your tongue. You should probably drink this cider fast or enjoy it on ice because it does taste much better chilled. I hate to sound pretentious, but Strongbow did taste better on tap in the UK so we'll have to just base this review on what's available in the US. However, seeing as most bars now offer Strongbow, I recommend it to anyone who isn't quite sure what they want to drink. 4 apples isn't the best I've given out so far, but there is no denying its deliciousness!


Looks like we agree once again. So, when you're out this weekend for Halloween celebrations that are more than likely going to happen, try a Strongbow and let us know what you think! And if you're in the UK, enjoy one for us, will you?

Don't forget to enjoy your ciders responsibly, friends.  And as always, until next time:
Happy Tasting!
-Liz & Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment