Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Smith & Forge Hard Cider

Spring is here! I can't believe it! Mostly because it's going to freeze again tonight and there is a winter weather advisory in the area, but it's still spring. How can I say that then? Well, baseball is back, and that's good enough for me. Winter was too long this year so independent of what the weather is actually like, I'm moving on.

Liz and I are big Brewers fans and try to go to as many games as we can. Of course we try to go with friends and introduce them to some of our ciders while tailgating before hand. But this week, we had a gift from Liz's friend and co-worker, Jessica. She so elegantly wrapped it (and if you missed the wrap-job, scroll down to last week's post), and then talked it up... A LOT. But before we get to the goods (or bads?), the required:

Smith & Forge comes to us from Memphis, TN and weighs in at 6% alcohol by volume. It's a simple a looking can with a simple description from the brewers over at Uncharted Cider Co. Here's what they had to say about it:
Built from apples. Built to refresh. Made strong in the fine tradition of making things strong.


Well let's see if this simple cider can leave a lasting impression on the Deciders. Liz will sip first:
It's hearty. It's got an earthy, warm apple flavor. This reminds me of something I would enjoy while sitting by a cool summer's night bonfire. Smith & Forge is balanced, refreshing, and it has the right amount of kick to make it taste like a real cider - it's not girly or flowery or citrus-y. All of this from a CANNED CIDER?! I am a happy girl! I give Smith & Forge four shiny, delicious apples.

Sounds like she is a fan, time for me to step up to the plate:
This one I really like. It's more tart than it is sweet which is uncommon for most ciders. However, it still tastes a lot like regular apple juice. It also makes you fell nice and warm as it goes down. Also, a big plus is that after your sip, it doesn't leave the fat sugary after taste on your tongue. Smith & Forge is very rich and relatively simple. No surprises, just straight up cider deliciousness. It pays to keep things simple. Four apples from me.

It looks like all of Jessica's rave reviews hit the mark for Liz and I! Do you have a cider you can't get enough of? Let us know! We would love for the chance to sip on some new ciders.

Enjoy the (sporadic) warmer weather!

Happy Tasting,
- Liz & Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment