Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Strongbow Honey & Apple

I want to apologize to everyone reading this. For the past few weeks we've been talking about how spring is here and it's almost summer. I think we jinxed it... There was just snow on the ground and it's still pretty cold out there. I think we are going to stop predicting the weather and stick to the cider.

This week we've got a familiar brand up for review and last time, they got some of our best scores yet. I'm talking about Strongbow! Yup, this delicious cider is now available with honey. Strongbow Honey & Apple is still imported from overseas. This time it comes from Aubel, Belgium and lands at 5% alcohol by volume. Short and simple makes up the description; Natural honey flavored cider with other natural flavors. Surprisingly, the golden color of the cider also matches our kitchen table. Take a peek for yourself.


Since Liz is busy making enough deviled eggs to feed an army, I'm going to go first.
Strongbow has been a go-to drink of mine since I started drinking ciders. This new variation is almost as good as the original. Almost. The crisp apple flavor is still just as smooth, but the honey is nearly overwhelming. Personally I feel like it could be scaled back just a bit. The cider itself is still very crisp and the fiz is uplifting. It is fairly tart but the honey does cut down on that and the iron aftertaste is virtually nonexistent. In the end, the honey is definitely what sets this one apart. Not being a big fan of honey, this one still gets a respectable 3.5 apples from me. No doubt about it, Strongbow simply makes tasty ciders.

Liz took enough time out of her eggsperiment (ha, see what I did there?) to taste test and write her piece.
Before trying this, my hopes were high. I mean, it's Strongbow! One of my favorite ciders with a new twist. At first, when taking a nice long swig, all I could taste was plain ol' Strongbow. I was a bit disappointed for a second, but then the honey came in and BAM! I was happy. It's smooth and warm and sweet. It is a bit dry at the end, but that's to be expected with a Strongbow. I cannot get over how much I like this one, and I'm stoked it came in a six-pack. More for me to enjoy! Strongbow Honey & Apple is tied with it's sister-cider at 4 apples from me.

Hopefully the honey doesn't attract any bees if you take this one outside when it does in fact get warm, whenever that is... Please feel free to leave any comments below or send your suggestions to DeCidersBlog@gmail.com. Stay warm and we'll see you next week.

Happy Tasting!
-Liz & Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment